Thursday, January 28, 2010

Jan 28th

I considered simply posting this without any text because I really just want to go lay down... in the end I obviously decided to write something, so here it goes.  Perhaps my thought of not writing was from my photography class discussion today, while analyzing a French photography, Sophie Calle, we discussed the necessity of text with a photo.  In the end I think we decided that text is necessary but why is that with photography?  If you think of any great piece of art... Leonardo, Michelangelo, or Raphael... no text accompanies those or for the most part any other painting or sculpture or anything really, except photography.  I'm not sure what the class decided but my personal conclusion was that a photograph can stand alone, and people will still appreciate it and see it as art, but they will not see what the artist was trying to say with the work. Instead, in the absence of explanation. the viewer will create his own interpretation and meaning based on their own life experience.  
Many of my photos aren't really meant to have a ton of meaning I guess... I enjoy capturing beauty and delving into creativity, but once in a while I get a picture that strikes a cord. Those are my favorite ones. 

2 comments: